Age of the Teacher

Here’s something that most people do not realize about teachers: teachers of some subjects are regarded as older than teachers of others subjects.  Think about it…. Don’t some teachers just appear to be older than they really are? Of course this doesn’t happen with the younger teachers but what about the older ones: the ones who are older than… say… thirty five. 
I think I may have written about this quite some time ago but the subject cropped up again today in a conversation with my university mates on whatsapp.  At the uni where I once taught, the English lecturers are often thought to be younger than they really arre by the students. A factor that went unknown to me for a long time.  Until one day at a conference.
I was manning a table with some students and a fellow lecturer.  So we started talking about all sorts of things. Then one student furrowed her brow because the things we were saying made her think we were quite a lot older than she thought.  She asked us how old we were and she was quite surprised that we were our real age.  That intrigued me. What made her think that we were as young as she thought, I inquired.  She said it was because of the way we carried ourselves.  We seemed to be into fun and those stuff unlike the lecturers of certain other subjects and their parents too.

So there it is.. take up English language teaching and stay young. 

Comments

CIKGU MICHELE said…
touche eddy ;)

Popular Posts