A Shocking Emergency Call

I was on my way home from work when I came across a traffic congestion on Jalan Mahameru behind the National Museum. Apparently there was a road collision or an accident involving a motorcycle. I did not stop because I saw people already gathered and helping the victim who was on the road with a woman holding him still. His wife perhaps.
I called 112 on the handphone and that was when I got the shock of my life. The phone was answered on the third ring.  Someone greeted me politely (even more shocking) and asked for my detail as well as the details of what I saw.
What was a real horror was that the people on the phone (I was speaking to a second person by then) verified that they had also received other calls about the accident and they had despatched an ambulance to the site. I was already reeling with the shock.
To turn into the real nightmare, I later received a call from them confirming that the victim had been taken to the hospital.
What is this? How dare these people speak me to courteously? How dare they be polite? How dare they be kind enough to call me to tell me of the status of the incident?
Don't they know that the opposition say that our emergency services is hopelessly inept and inefficient and heartless? These emergency services personel were making liars out of the oppositionists that I had spoken to on the subject. These people cannot even be trusted to behave like proper emergency services in a third world country that my opposition friends say they are.
How dare they not swear or be rude to me?

On a more serious note: My heartfelt congratulations and gratitude to the people of the emergency services hotline and ambulance service.

Comments

Popular Posts