On the subject of 'Permatang Pauh'

I entered a taxi in Miri recently.  The driver asked as we began our journey to the Institut Pendidikan Guru Miri, "So, how are things in Permatang Pauh?"

I replied, "I don't know anything about Permatang Pauh but I do have a pauh tree in front of my house"

The driver gave a confused reply.  After a few moments of confusion, I explained to the taxi man that pauh means mango in northern speech and that a permatang is a large place: a plantation of sorts. I added that I don't have a whole permatang of pauhs but I do have a pauh tree in front of my house and that the tree was doing well. 

It took the driver a few minutes to decide whether to talk about politics or botany.  He chose politics but kept it local thereby giving me a brief insight into the political situation in Miri.

Comments

Anonymous said…
excellent points and the details are more precise than somewhere else, thanks.

- Thomas

Popular Posts