What to do

Lately, I have also been seeing a lot of anger expressed by my brothers and sisters particularly over the Fitna video. I think the video was designed specifically to get the kind of reaction that it did. It is rather obvious that it was an exercise in manipulating behaviour through media. I think it would be important for Muslims to adopt the kind of detachment introduced into Western media study by general semantics. A friend of mine criticised my idea saying that it was not proper to not feel angered by such provocations. I would have to differ. I think we Muslims would be better off if we would only turn back to the Quran and the Hadith when facing such issues. So what does the Quran say?
Here are three quotes:
1. “Those who repress anger, and who pardon men: verily, Allah loves good-doers” Quran 3:134
2. “But whoever forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah.” Quran 42:40
3. “Let them pardon and forgive” Quran 24:22.
The next question then is the question of limitations. I think its is not the question of merely forgiving and never fighting back but to fight effectively when it is the last resort.

Comments

Popular Posts