Recently, I got an email from an old college (okay, an Americanism here. You will see what I mean later on) classmate whom I have not seen for relatively long time even though she lives and works in the same state. I used the term ‘do’ lunch. She came back saying that she eats, buys and sometimes cooks lunch but she does not do lunch – she hates Americanism, she claims. That got me thinking, I wonder if she was right.
That was last night on the Internet. This morning, on my way to work, it struck me. The term may be an Americanism but the concept is not exclusively American. Consider this, to ‘do’ lunch is not really to go somewhere to eat but to go somewhere and eat, and to do a whole lot of other things not directly related to eating. Things ranging from selling insurance policies to catching up on old times to exchanging recipes to all sort of other things. So in fact, the act of eating is really diminutized by all the other things. This is the point that I do not think is uniquely American.
Consider, the Malay word for eat, makan. Now, there is the term in Malay, makan-makan. In common usage this means to go out somewhere with friends or acquaintances to eat, drink, be merry and all sorts of other things. In short, to have a good time someplace where food is part of the occasion. More often that not it involves going to a restaurant or someplace like that. You rarely go makan-makan in someone else’s place although that is not impossible.
For example, I once found myself talking with a few people about setting up a small venture of sorts. We were initially gathered at a friend’s place near Bandar Damansara. Then someone suggested that we go somewhere for makan-makan. A while later the five of us were in Bangsar, sitting at one of the open air stalls eating a variety of noodles and rice, and talking about business. The talk actually led to a small IT venture. Therefore, in this case, the makan in makan-makan was not as important to us as what we were talking about. In fact, we were “doing” dinner.
I am certain therefore that although the term to ‘do’ lunch is an Americanism, the concept is not an American invention. In fact, I remember reading in some history books that when the kings of old received official visitors, they would invite them into the balai (throne room / meeting room) and then call for the maid to serve drinks and sireh. Then followed by delicacies. So, in fact the Sultans of Malacca would do their negotiation while makan-makan. In one case the emissary from Majapahit (An Indonesian government) arrived, I think – based on some obscure text I read a long time ago, around lunch. The same thing was done when the entourage arrived, so in fact the Malaccan king and the Majapahit emissary were ‘doing’ lunch: they were, in current terms, having a makan-makan.
Hmmmm. Anyone for makan-makan?

Comments

Popular Posts