When the Supernatural Invades the Social Media: updated

What I wrote the day before last

In the last week or so, my social media has taken a supernatural turn for the weird and intellectually questionable.
First, a former student told me that he received a "gift" when he went to Mecca. He now offers his services to remove possessions (saka). I guess his new vocation took a lot less time to master than his degree.
Second, the child of a deceased friend told me that her mother, who studied with me long ago, died from being magically sabotaged by someone (dibuat orang). She seemed totally convinced of this. I guess it's her way of handling her grief.
Then, today, I received a friend request from one Indonesian guy which I accepted. He then messaged me to offer "numbers". I thanked him but I told him that I don't gamble. He said the numbers are to make me succeed. I told him that I don't need numbers to succeed but politely thanked him for offering. He said it was alright and didn't force it.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the season.

What I wrote yesterday

Today, the Indonesian bomoh / magic man got on my nerve. He decided to put an advertisement for his supernatural services on my Facebook page. This, of course, got promptly deleted. I find this guy rather amusing because he sent me a picture of him at his spellcasting spread, he looked like a young guy. I’d say no more than 40 but he refers to himself as ‘Mdah’ which is a Javanese term of address for older or elderly men.

In my mind, I am hearing my late Father’s voice repeating his favourite saying, “Your fruit cake is not complete without a few nuts”.

10 Dec 2017

I unfriended the Indonesian Bomoh / magic man today for putting posts on my FB page advertising his nombor ekor (lottery numbers) services. What a crock of bull. 

Comments

Popular Posts