Memories of Another Day 1

I was at the Popular Bookstore at Cheras Velocity today. By that I mean the name of the bookstore was Popular, it is not an adjective describing the story. Then again it may well be popular but I cannot verify that.
As I was looking at the pen counter, I saw a few tiny pens called Pilot Birdie. It's not expnsive although I do not recall at the moment how much it costs. The thing about this pen is that it first hit the Malaysian market when I was in school. In my school, it became the pen to have among the boys. Well, I went to an all boys school so that is not saying much.
THe pen is so tiny that when you have it in your pocket, it can hardly be seen which is exactly the impression some of the boys want to have. I think having a pen in your pocket was a sign of being what today is called nerds.
I remember having one although I cannot recall when I bought it or if I bought it at all. It may have been given to me. I don't remember.
So, the pen was popular and your could hardly see it. Another property of this pen was that if your hands are of the slightly larger persuasion, like mine are, then it would wreak havoc on your hand writing. My writing is bad enough, but I learnt that when I write with this pen, I could hardly read my own writing. So I think you can guess what it did to my school work and the marks that accompanied the words when they returned from the teachers' desk.
Not too long ago, I actually tried writing with this pen, I think it belonged to one of my students. Ah yes, it did. We were in class and the students were doing some something while I went around the class with a checklist or attendance list. When I got to the back of the class, I found that I needed a pen to write on the form and I had left my pen on my table at the front of the class. So, I borrowed a pen from a student sitting there. It was this pen. I wrote what I needed on the form and returned the pen to the student annd she placed it back into her handbag.  When the class was over, I returned to the form so that I could process it further. That was when I found that evenI could not read what I wrote.
At this age I guess, the big fat pens are the better choice.
As for the PIlot Birdie, it reminded me of another day. Kajang High School. The school is still there. It has even attained a higher status now, I think it is a sports school which means it is one of those institutions where they groom our future sportsmen. Most of whom, I am certain, have no problems writing with the Pilot Birdie: being young and with less fat accumulations.
As for me, I am not going back there. I'll stick to my big fat pen which suits my big fat hands better.


Click here to see the Birdie on Pilot's website

Comments

Popular Posts