A Date with Rayani

A Date with Rayani
Little more than a week ago, Rayani Air began flying. Since its announcement, Islamophobes, Munafiks and Anti-Malay Muslim bigots* have been spewing all forms of bile, puss, vomitus, venom and excrement online. Incidentally, I needed to go to Kelantan on an urgent family matter. I admit that Rayani Air was not my first choice but my favourite airlines were all fully booked at the times that I preferred to fly, so I thought I would give Rayani Air a try. 
When I logged to their website, I learnt that they are having promotion and my return flight to and from Kota Bharu would only cost me RM 170 which was very pleasant indeed. Thus, I booked my flight. The booking done, I paid online, printed the receipt and flight itinerary.
On Friday, I took the ERL to KLIA 2 and I was pleasantly surprised that the ticket was still RM 35 and not RM 550 as announced recently. Wait! Perhaps the revised fare is to be RM 55, not RM 550 per direction. I’ll verify this later.
I arrived at KLIA 2 after a short uneventful trip. Made my way to the Rayani Air check in counter at counter S. The counter staff were friendly and helpful. The check in was smooth and uneventful. I made my way to the departure lounge, did a little shopping, used the toilet facilities, had a coffee and some food, and finally arrived at departure lounge J5. I checked in and took a seat. They then announced that the flight was to be delayed because the plane’s arrival from KB was delayed. This was nothing new. In fact, a delay of 15 minutes is nothing compared to some delays that I have had to endure with other airlines. We boarded the plane and we took off about 15 minutes later than the initially designated time as earlier announced.
The plane taxied normally and the take-off was smooth both of which indicate that the pilot was indeed qualified to fly the plane which was a great relief to the passengers but would be a great disappointment to the critics mentioned earlier.  At around this time, just before the plane took off, the co-pilot came on the PA system and made a few announcements. At the end of the announcement he said that he would be reading an Islamic prayers that used to be said by the Prophet PBUH each time he started a journey. He invited the non-Muslims to join us by praying in way of their own respective religions. The prayer he recited was a short one.
Arabic Transliteration
Bismi-Allahi wa al-hamdu li-Allahi. Subhana-alladhi sakh-khara la-na hadha wa ma kunna la-hu muqrinin. Wa inna ila Rabbi-na la munqalibun.
Meaning
In the name of Allah, and Praise be to Allah. Glory unto Him Who created this transportation, for us, though we were unable to create it on our own. And unto our Lord we shall return.

I guess some of you would be inclined to argue that the plane was man-made but to my understanding there are two salient points in this prayer:
(a) the plane was made by man but who made man?
(b) Man made the plane out of steel and other substances, who made those substances?

A few minutes into the flight, the air crew gave us snack boxes that contained a vanilla cupcake, a packet of peanuts and some fruit juice.  They also sold other food items. I bought a cup of coffee which cost rm 5.  It was a three in one Nescafe in hot water.
The flight was smooth. We landed in Kota Bharu exactly one hour and five minutes after taking off in KLIA 2. All in one piece.

The return flight was much the same except I could not bring my bag onto the plane as a carry-on because it was two kilogrammes over the allowed weight limit. The return flight was also delayed by fifteen minutes.  They said the weather enroute from KLIA was not ideal.  Again, this was not a problem as compared to some other delays on other airlines that I have taken.

On the return flight, I slept a little bit. They did not sell coffee on this leg of the journey because the weather was unsatisfactory and we were getting tossed around a little. I think it was when we were flying over the Titiwangsa range. I could not be sure but judging from the cloud formations below us, I think we were flying above storm clouds.

We cleared the bad weather after about fifteen minutes. The rest of the trip was smooth and I dozed off a little. I woke up again when I felt the plane descend.  Looking out the window, I saw that we were not too far from the ground: maybe 15,000 feet or less. The landing was smooth. We taxied a bit then docked at KLIA 2 J5 again.

I exited. Made my way to the baggage reclamation. Stopped to use the toilet. And finally arrived at the conveyor belt type thing. The baggage did not take too long to arrive and luckily my bag was among the first few to be unloaded. It also arrived in one piece. About half an hour later, I was on the ERL heading to KL Sentral. In retrospect, my entire trip was very uneventful which is just the way I like my flights.

There were a few things that were important for anyone flying Rayani Air to understand.
A.    The airline is Syariah compliant which means, among other things, that the food is halal, they recite prayers before each flight, the crew wears Islamic clothing which includes the hijab, and they greet you with, “Assalamualaikum”.
B.    It is the airline that is Syariah compliant, you are a passenger which means,
a.    You do not have to be Syariah compliant: no need to wear the hijab and the rest.
b.    You do not have to give salaam if you do not want to, especially if you are not a Muslim or if you are just not a pleasant person with good manners.
c.    You do not need to have a beard to fly Rayani Air. In fact, most of the male, and all of the female, passengers did not have beards.
d.    The food is all precooked on the ground. No one slaughtered any animals enroute.
e.    You can be of any race, religion, creed, sexual orientation and perversion so long as you conduct yourself in a civilized manner.  I would think that if you were to show up wearing a Klu Klux Klan style robe and hood, you not be allowed on board, but I’m just speculating. If you do try this, do let us know what happens.  That is if you are allowed to leave freely. If you find yourself sent to the mental hospital, I’d ask you to tell us of the experience when they release you… IF they release you.  
I do however, see how all that pleasantness, hospitality, and warmth can be extremely off-putting for someone whose mind is brainwashed by the diseased reporting on CNN, FOX and a few other.

So,

Did I like travelling on Rayani Air? – Yes, I did.
Did I find travelling on Rayani Air pleasant? – Yes, I did.
Would I travel on Rayani Air again? – Yes, I would although I would decide on the basis of the details of those trips respectively.
Would I travel of Rayanni Air exclusively? Of course not, it doesn’t go everywhere.  My choice would still be on the basis of the convenience and cost of the flight.
Would I recommend Rayani Air? Probably.
Strangely however, there were so many children on the plane this time. Perhaps it was due to the school holiday season.

One more thing, some are accusing the two owners of this airline, who just happened to be Indians, of all sorts of unpleasant things.  The way, I see it, they saw a niche in the market and they took advantage of it. In doing so, they made our airlines scene more competitive. I don’t see anything wrong with it.


Note:
* the labels are added for some cheap publicity after all who can afford to turn down publicity these days cheap or otherwise. 

Comments

PahNur said…
Modern Islamic banks claim do not to charge usury/bunga/interest , and instead simply offer fixed rate interest loan packages. Buying and then selling at a profit is permitted in Islam. This is the central feature of how Islamic loans work. Example : if you wish to buy a RM70,000 car, the bank will purchase the vehicle on your behalf then resell it to you for RM74,000. This is halal in Islam as long as the two transactions are separate.
When we break down the final payment amount, we would discover that the desired interest has been pre-calculated by the bank, and then added to the principle which the vehicle is then resold to the debtor at that higher price. It has been discovered that Islamic mortgages are in fact a few percentage points above the market rate. But loaners are attracted to the idea of an Islamic loan purely on the basis that they think they will escape interest payments. Well, think again. The devil, they say, is in the detail of agreement.


John Foster , the Former editor, Islamic Business & Finance magazine wrote :
Alternatively the bank would enter into a partnership with a person wanting to buy a house. The bank would buy 70% of the house, the individual 30%.
The bank then rents its share of the house back to the individual until the house is fully paid for.


The bank makes a profit on the rent, which would be higher than equivalent rents in the area, but on an annualised percentage basis, would look very much like a conventional mortgage interest rate.


To the casual observer, a spade is a spade.

Whether the product is dressed up in Arabic terminology, such as Mudarabah, or Ijarah, if it looks and feels like a mortgage, it is a mortgage and to say anything else is semantics.


The core of Islamic economics is a prohibition on interest.
Note: The great lie about Islamic finance not having interest is repeated endlessly. However, it is simply not true. Tests done on Islamic mortgages have found the “inbuilt” interest rates are several basis points above the market rate ; ranges between one and two percent higher than the interest on a conventional mortgage actually.
PahNur said…
Here is a write up on Islamic banking – a scam

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/opinion/2012/12/27/islamic-banking-practices-a-scam/

Is the conventional bank a good system. Well, depends on who you ask I guess. Is Islamic Banking a pure system. Again, depends on who you ask.
My problem lies in the word “Islamic” Banking. The sole reason of Allah banning usury is to protect the poor from being oppressed. If a system is based on the reshuffling of terminologies or technicality, but end up having the similar effect of not being compliant to the actual reason for the prohibition of usury in the first place, then it is nothing but system that still minge money, albeit via manipulating the loopholes of terminology and the technicality. You can call it want you want, but I call that HYPOCRISY. THIS is my major problem with anything “Isley-mic”.
Coming to the Syariah compliant airlines Riyani. First off, the major share-holder and its founder is an Indian. I have no problems with that, but some kosher conscious people may, since they seem to be very anal not just about anal stuff but the little things too. Again, I have no problems with people preferring “syariah compliant” things, like alcohol- sexually stimulating air stewardesses (and not forgetting the gay community; the sexually stimulating air steward) free airlines. Although, I did notice soft appearing men on their advertisement, again, not a problem for me, but may be a problem for some others.


Flaunt me naked men, alcohol, cross in any form, whatever and I will get down the plane with my faith intact. I believe righteousness is a choice, and if that faith of righteousness is backed up with proper researched understanding of its existence and not just a faith of inheritance, the only people left to feel insecure would be the people who benefit from the religion (especially in money sense of it)….besides, having a little “cobaan” or test is fantastic because I like passing if not scoring in any tests and examinations. The only way you can make me lose faith is when the system itself shows practices that does not make any sense.

PahNur said…
As far as I am concern there are only about about 10 harams (prohibition) in the Quran (I mean, Allah can’t have forgotten to mention all that is haram committing haram things will bear enormous consequences no?) and these include :

i. Evicting captives of war (2:85)
ii. Not to have sex with your wife in the masjid in the month of Ramadhan (2:187)
iii. Prohibition to marry your own mom et al (4:23)
iv. Excessiveness of what that is prohibited of you (4:31) which are – i-x
v. Hunting throughout Hajj (5:1)
vi. Prohibited to you are animals that die of themselves, blood, the meat of pigs, and animals dedicated to other than GOD - strangled, struck with an object, fallen from a height, gored, attacked by a wild animal - unless you save your animal before it dies - and animals sacrificed on altars. Also prohibited is dividing the meat through a game of chance; this is an abomination. (5:3)
vii. Say, "Come let me tell you what your Lord has really prohibited for you: You shall not set up idols besides Him. You shall honor your parents. You shall not kill your children from fear of poverty - we provide for you and for them. And do not go near immoralities, obvious or hidden. You shall not kill - GOD has made life sacred - except in the course of justice. These are His commandments to you, that you may understand." (6:151)
viii. Say, "My Lord prohibits only evil deeds, be they obvious or hidden, and sins, and unjustifiable aggression, and to set up beside GOD powerless idols, and to say about GOD what you do not know." (7:33)
ix. The dwellers of Hell will call on the dwellers of Paradise: "Let some of your water, or some of GOD's provisions to you flow towards us." They will say, "GOD has forbidden them for the disbelievers." (7:50)
x. The adulterer will end up marrying an adulteress or an idol worshiper, and the adulteress will end up marrying an adulterer or an idol worshiper. This is prohibited for the believers. (24:3)

PahNur said…
Other than that, I’m okay with. In fact, I wouldn’t want to go against Quranic teaching when it comes to what is prohibited and what is not.
6:119 Why should you not eat from that upon which GOD's name has been mentioned? He has detailed for you what is prohibited for you, unless you are forced. Indeed, many people mislead others with their personal opinions, without knowledge. Your Lord is fully aware of the transgressors
6:139 They also said, "What is in the bellies of these livestock is reserved exclusively for the males among us, and prohibited for our wives." But if it was a still birth, they permitted their wives to share therein. He will certainly requite them for their innovations. He is Most Wise, Omniscient.
6:140 Losers indeed are those who killed their children foolishly, due to their lack of knowledge, and prohibited what GOD has provided for them, and followed innovations attributed to GOD. They have gone astray; they are not guided.
6:145 Say, "I do not find in the revelations given to me any food that is prohibited for any eater except carrion, running blood, the meat of pigs, for it is foul, and the meat of animals blasphemously dedicated to other than GOD." If one is forced, without being deliberate or malicious, then your Lord is Forgiver, Most Merciful.
6:150 Say, "Bring your witnesses who would testify that GOD has prohibited this or that." If they testify, do not testify with them. Nor shall you follow the opinions of those who reject our revelations, and those who disbelieve in the Hereafter, and those who stray away from their Lord.
7:32 Say, "Who prohibited the nice things GOD has created for His creatures, and the good provisions?" Say, "Such provisions are to be enjoyed in this life by those who believe. Moreover, the good provisions will be exclusively theirs on the Day of Resurrection." We thus explain the revelations for people who know


I respect the need for some people to travel via “syariah compliant” ways, and if there is a bunch of people who are willing to invest in providing for their preferences, ya, why not. It’s their prerogative. Some people make the money from the religion, and the people who interpret the religion gets a feel good (not so much as feel God) channel flying… a win-win situation. Again I stress, my problem lies with the hypocrisy of tapping into the gullible market via the name Islam. Nothing else.

So hail Rayani, and I do hope that it won’t suffer the same fate as the non syariah compliant airlines since well, using the same logic of some syariah conscious people that non syariah compliance is the reason why our national carrier suffered such unfortunate fates, Riyani should be protected by Allah himself.


Conventional non syariah vs syariah compliant product….Ahh…choices choices. The willingness to put profit first is, as it turns out, is the real shared value that links Islamic and Western civilizations.

(16:116) And do not utter falsehoods by letting your tongues declare: "This is lawful" and "That is unlawful," thus fabricating lies against Allah. Surely those who fabricate lies against Allah will never prosper.

(16:117) Brief is their enjoyment of the world, and thereafter they shall suffer a painful chastisement.

Popular Posts