The Tales They Told

One of my forefathers rose against the Dutch who bled his neighbours,
Consequently he became a hunted man exiled from beloved Java.
Another of my forefathers fought the Siamese who oppressed his brothers,
He lost and went into exile across the border. Never to return forever.
Another of my forefathers fought the British to free his land,
Yet another proudly showed me the wound from a Japanese gun,
They told me he took the shooter’s life with his bare hands.
Proud men who fought because they loved
They laid their lives to better the lives of others.
Yesterday, my neighbours gathered ready to fight,
Shouted that God is Great to fortify their resolve,
But around what did their battle revolve?
Love and hate between neighbours?
A drugged attempt to steal a device?
Or undiluted stupidity exploited by a few?
Regardless, I am left to wonder,
Tell me what you will tell your offsprings?

Tell me what pride will your tales bring? 

Hazidi Abdul Hamid
14th July 2015
4.09PM

Comments

Popular Posts