I Didn't Wear My Watch Today

I didn't wear my watches today,
Not the G-shock nor the analog Casio
Not even the nice one I got for my birthday.
I decided not to wear my watches today,
To see what difference it would make,
To see if I have been asleep while wide awake.
To see if the bracelet is really a shackle.
Telling the time was still very easy,
My car had a clock, one on my office wall,
Another on my table and it spoke quite loud.
Machines that told me of the time I am allowed
A strange thing happened without my watches on guard
My nasi ayam lunch became an  experience enriched unrushed
I savoured each bite,
Each grain a morsel of delight
The ginger stood out to be accounted
The chilli's vengeance truly felt.
My coffee dessert velvetly flowed
The unhurried hour so much it showed
What magic revealed to my eyes
I peeled away the layers of lies.
Passing faces I could see clearly
Beneath layers of colourful chemicals
Lay remnants of sleepless nights
And alarms clocks that go off too early
Avoiding rigor mortis by caffeine's great night.

Maybe tomorrow, I will not forget,
To strap that contraption on my wrist,
Those time sayers with their cruel twist
Their absence show the pain in their eyes
So much despair, anguish and regret

Hazidi Abdul Hamid
22 August 2013
Kuala Lumpur

Comments

CIKGU MICHELE said…
omg. u r so gifted eddy

Popular Posts