Everything is indeed connected.

Being human means that we will ultimately all share some very basic things regardless of how we differ from each other.  Culture may divide us but break culture down and you will find that it too comprises the same basic ingredients.  And at this point you will be wondering what on earth I am blabbering away about.

I work with a number of people in a certain organization as I have been doing for decades now, and beyond the basic professional relationship, we often develop friendships and ‘hate’ships with these very same people. it is inevitable.  for a long time, friend in my current organization has been complaining to me about a certain colleague. If you go by their reports and personal encounters too if you are unlucky enough, it is likely that you will find this person is indeed in possession of the despicable qualities that are often ascribed to him.  I have to admit that I too share said sentiments at least until not too long ago.  My attitude changed when I remembered some things that I was taught by my teachers: academic, religious (both the regular and the mystic kind) and unplanned ones too.  Allow me to take you through my epiphany.

An Imam once taught me that for everything Allah has created , there is a purpose.  He was quoting fro the Quran when he taught this.  The problem, he added, is that often the purpose is beyond our grasp.  People, for example, are sent to us each with a purpose: some are there to teach you something and learning can come in many ways and forms; from a fleeting glance right up to the people we love.  They are sometimes sent to test you, like in this case, and some are sent to tempt you in all so many ways.  reciprocally, we are also sent for a purpose to others: we may accidentally step on someone’s foot but, the Imam said, it is really a test for him to see if he could control his anger and refrain from tying you up and sending you to sleep at the bottom of  lake with your legs encased in cement.  what is important is for us to realise that we are all part of a grand design, a grand purpose.  A despicably annoying colleague for example is still part of the organisation or system.  A system is a thing that is the sum of all its parts and more if the whole takes up a different meaning once whole. 

Who we are is the result of all of our experiences good or bad. A system will change once any part of it is changed or removed.  Change is a fickle thing, it takes on whatever direction it likes regardless of all the precautions that we take to direct it.  It is the same with my organization, if I feel closer to some colleagues it may be because we find the same person irksome, thus said person has already contributed to the whole. 

One common complaint is that many feel annoyed one of our leaders who is often blinded by this person’s bull shit. It is here that I remembered a few places where I have worked before.  Some of the leaders there too listened to the wrong people and consequently a couple of these places no longer exist.  Other leaders, were smart enough to evaluate the lies and this these organizations survived and even grew.  My Iman quoted a hadith that said that a Muslim leader has one foot in heaven and one in hell, such is the precariousness of the role of a leader. I thought, when it comes to our relation with our Maker and with fellow humankind, we are ultimately alone: the responsibility for our deeds is ultimately on our own heads. If you think about it, there is nothing much we can do, really.  Our is to remind, teach and learn from the mistakes of others as well as our own.   Beyond that, we can only watch as people dig their own graves or climb to the top, whichever way they choose to go. 

So how does it tie up? Everything is connected.  I too was tempted to hate but then i realised that I am watching creation unfold in all its glory.

More to come.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Excellent article with many different wonderful written content! I guess you're on the correct way. All the best .

Popular Posts