Early morning Kuala Lumpur: changing world

Its around 8.10 AM and I was in the elevator heading up to the Legend Hotel lobby.  I made my way to the ballroom where the Colloquium was supposed to be held but there was no one there.  Puzzled, i looked around and sure enough there were signs of the event everywhere, almost, but still no familiar faces.  so, i found a place to sit and dug up the itinerary from my somewhat oversized bag and read it again.  true enough I misread it the first time.  The registration is at 11AM, which means that I’m waaaayyyy too early.

To make a long story short, I found myself art McDonald’s (Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!!!) with a cup of coffee and my laptop.  As i looked around, I noticed that there are a few laptops, maybe two or three, and a few PDA-phones.  Most noticeable, I only find two newspapers, open and read while the other is folded and tucked safely in the armpit of a chap carrying a computer bag and waiting for his turn at the counter.  I seem to remember a similar scene from more than two decades ago, I was waaaayyyy too early for a meeting with my friends in Kajang town.  We were supposed to go for some event somewhere representing the Kajang High School Prefectorial Board.  I found myself in the Champion restaurant with my blazer draped over the back of a chair (like it was this later morning) but with a teh tarik and a roti canai (or was it a lontong, I’m not sure on this count).  Anyway, it was such a beautiful morning with the light shining at just the right angle flooding the restaurant with a brilliant shade of a colour I dare not attempt to describe for fear of not doing justice to this picture i have in my head.  In this photo i have in my mind, there were twelve open news papers.

Perhaps the newspaper really is dying, as they say.

Comments

patungcendana said…
still reads the newpaper...done any crossword puzzle lately...Oooo...how very british...hehehe...

missed u sooooo much....huhuhu

Popular Posts