In KK and overdoing the Ikan Bakar

Blog 5 July 2006: Tang Dynasty Hotel, KK
6.30 am.
We are in KK again to meet the IPG lecturers, this time to sort of the marking of PISMk first semester papers at the Tang Dynasty Hotel. This is hotel I came to the first time I came to KK last year. Since then I have been to the Promenade twice and the Beverly once. My second visit to Tang is a bit more pleasant than the first because I have a better room, positionaly speaking but there are some faulty utilities in the room – no major problems though.
Last night, the OUM group went for ikan bakar behind the Philipino market, as we normally do each time we go anywhere near the ocean. I strongly believe that my faculty is filled with people who are obsessed with ikan bakar. That barbequed fish for the uninitiated. Admittedly it has been fun because they serve the fishes differently in the different places. Last week in Malacca, they serve the ikan bakar with packets of nasi lemak and tey only serve normal white rice if you ask for it. Here, the white rice is served by default. Then sauce in Malacca was just soy sause with chillies and assam added. Here you make the souce yourself. The necessary items are given on the table, including some condiments like seaweed, finely sliced young mango, chillies, small fermented fish and lemon. The price here is also a lot cheaper. We paid about RM 150 in Malacca on one night in Malacca. Yesterday, we had about the same amount of fish but we only paid RM 50. That’s less than 10 Britich quid for a fish dinner for six. How’s that for cheap?
To give you an idea, last weekend, I took my family for a fish dinner and we paid 40 for dinner for four.

5.30 PM
I’m at the Bamboo café in the Wawasan Plaza – its attached to the Tang Dynasty. The internet facilities around here is generally rather lacking but this café seems to be okay: you pay rm 10 for unlimited wireless access and a drink of your choice – I’m having a pot of Earl Grey tea. Work is going well, I think, because we did what we needed to do quickly and without too much hassle or arguments.
Anyway, gotto go now. I’ll add more tomorrow.

PS. If you ever find yourself in Tang Dynasty, KK. Do try the kerabu at the Taipan café. Its not the best I’ve ever had but it is much better than many I have had.

Comments

Popular Posts