IT had been a few days since I last read a newspaper. I could say that I’ve been too busy but it would only be an excuse because I have been busier and I still had the time. This time I think it was simply disillusionment in what I read. I once read a book entitled something like ‘the culture of lying’ – the book illustrated how what we get in the news are really lies and nothing more. The events are orchestrated, the speeches are prewritten, the visuals are selected for impact and much more. The only news left are probably those of live coverage of catastrophes. So, I left the papers for a few days. Yesterday I bought a copy of the New Straits Times and what I saw on the front page was surprising. Of course there was a coverage of Tun Dr. Mahathir addressing some conference in Japan and he was saying nothing new – the man is consistent, you have to give him that. What I was surprised at was George Soros saying that he would be devoting much money to bringing down Bush. Here was two chaps who were at each other’s throats not so long ago, bearing their guns on the same chap – albeit one unlovable excuse for a man but still only one liar who has sent thousands of American sons and daughters to kill and die in a foreign country under the guise of a liberation force but really only doing so for the sake of those who had bought and paid for his soul and his seat of presidency.
Better still, I also read on the news later that Friedman, that chap who was worried that an elevator operator said a prayer before pressing the button, said that the Americans should heed what Mahathir said in his controversial speech at the OIC summit. Of course, he couldn’t go straight out and compliment the guy for what he said, that would be unthinkable and probably a big sin to his bosses at the NYT, so he began with, ‘Though it was also laced with shameful anti-Jewish slurs, it was still revealing’. I guess that’s fine because we need to allow the man his pride after all. Whatever Bush is doing, I think he’d better start doing something right by his own people because he’s gathering some powerful voices against him. Its ironic that the Americans are worried about religious fanatics and terrorists when they’ve got a fanatic as their president, didn’t he say something like he believes that God told him to be president a while back? As for terrorist, invading a foreign country looking for non-existent weapons of mass destruction constitutes a terrorist act, I believe. At least Mahathir only invaded the Sepang district looking for an airport, and he found it J
Now for some real news. If you are going to visit Malaysia. Its not the rainy season – a really rainy season, and the durian season. Durians are cheap these days, five decently sized ones for about ten ringgit. If you haven’t tasted durians yet, I can only say that you have my deepest sympathies.
Just a thought, I had siput sedut yesterday ( finger or thumb sized snails usually cooked in a coconut and chili gravy – you suck it out of the shell to eat it) and I had durians today. I guess to some our delicacies might seem more like something you’d find on Fear Factor.

Comments

Popular Posts