February 8, 2003
There has been a disturbing development on campus recently. I think there are criminals targeting the campus for their misdeeds. On Thursday, two of my students, Nicholas and Sharmini saw a motorcyclist snatch the handbag of a student at the bus stop not that far from the School. They gave chase in their car but as they passed the school entrance the rider saw that he was being chased and ditched the handbag. Yesterday, Kalsom’s tyre was punctured when she went to the bank to get some money out. As she left the bank, she saw that there was a car and a motorbike tailing her, and then she realized that her tyre was flat. Luckily she headed back the office where there were plenty of witnesses. The car and the bike sped off when they saw that she was safe.
Some of my colleagues argued that it was because we are all facing difficult times, financially due to slow economic revival and continuing problems in the international field. I believe it is just due to laziness and an evil tendency in many of us to seek the easiest way out and a total disregard for other people’s property. At times like this I’m reminded of something I read a long time ago, it was about vigilantism in early America. The idea of vigilantism suddenly seems appealing but at the same time I realized that we are too prone to mob thinking and blindness to have the law in our own hands. Then there are the other two options that have been tried and tested: the feudal Japanese decapitation rule and the Hudud punishment of Islam. Of these I think the Hudud is the best but only if we are to practice it in its entirety, that is with the checks and balances in place not like the exceedingly lopsided proposals of some in this country.
Hmmm, I guess I’m digressing again. Good night.

Speaking too soon. The pizza delivery chap just told me that the main road to my place has been blocked by the police who are running an investigation there. A traffic policewoman was just shot there. I’ll write more on it as soon as I get more info.


Comments

Popular Posts